Friday, April 2, 2010

Finishing Work + how we can afford to!

A momentous event is that Rene and I have now both finished up at our workplaces. It was pretty surreal packing up my desk and saying goodbye to all of my colleagues and students. Some people have found it personally challenging that we have chosen not to work for the rest of the year (and possibly beyond). Some of my students assumed that I must be super rich to be able to do this (I wish!!). Which got me thinking that others might also assume this so I thought I'd better dispel that myth. We can afford to take the rest of the year off because (once we're set up) cruising is a VERY affordable method of traveling! The only expenses we'll have are diesel, food supplies, wireless internet/mobile phone and boat maintenance/repair. No car rego, fuel, fashion, cafes, take-out, rent, rates, movies etc. etc. 
Our relatively meagre savings will (hopefully) suffice for much longer than if we were to travel by plane and have to pay for accommodation - we're taking our home with us and sailing is free!
Live simply and simply live :)
Of course, any donations would be greatly appreciated!! hahaha ;D

2 comments:

  1. After you showed me your blog I knew that I would eventually remember what memory it evoked in me - the often quoted inaugration speech of Nelson Mandela : "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us most. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and famous?' Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that people won't feel insecure around you. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in all of us. And when we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
    Much love to you both X M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this quote Maryanne
    and so true
    jan

    ReplyDelete