Monday, January 31, 2011

Planning For Cyclone Yasi

We have continued to worry about Cyclone Yasi which is now predicted to hit this area sometime on Wednesday evening as a category 4 cyclone. Rene and I have discussed all of our options for surviving her. We considered rushing out this afternoon, buying the new boat batteries, setting up Anima to sail and then gunning it up to Hinchinbrook Island tonight. We thought about moving to the other marina in Ross Creek which has taller pontoons. We also considered moving Anima over to another finger in the marina here which is newer, stronger and more protected from the wind/waves. We have decided to go with the latter option. I don't want to put our lives at risk with option 1. Tying up in a mangrove creek is a proven method for sitting out cyclones but we aren't ready and rushing it will mean we take risks. The other marina is more exposed to the winds and also is in a creek so it could flood. The third option seems best. Our friends on SulaSula moved over to B finger last week and are very happy with its strength and design. 
We'll move over in the morning. 

Cyclone Yasi looks very nasty. If you follow this link to the MTSAT Infrared animated image of her, she looks like the Eye of Sauron from The Lord of The Rings. BOM is now predicting that she'll hit here - it's as though she's chasing Anthony on exactly the same path! 

I'm trying to remember to breathe. I'm finding it difficult not to panic. This time, it looks like we very well could lose everything.


  1. Hey guys,
    Best of luck with this approaching cyclone. Sounds like you've done everything possible to prepare. Will be watching closely and hoping for a change in its direction.
    SV Utopia II

  2. Thanks so much for your support Andrew! You have no idea how much it means to us to have people giving words of encouragement and hope. Are you down further south now (far away from the cyclone's wrath)?
    Hopefully we will still have Anima after this and we can all have a couple of sundowners in a beautiful anchorage somewhere together again.

  3. we are on the gold coast. plan to sail to NZ early march. look forward to those sundowners!

  4. All the best tonight, thinking of you guys. Looks like you have a very strong tough boat.


  5. Good luck with Yasi.....looks like you'll have a rough night ahead of you.

    New Zealand