Saturday, March 5, 2011

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

2011 has so far been quite dramatic. We were in Brisbane for the floods and then Townsville for Cyclone Yasi. This last week another stressful event has befallen us. One of my very close family members is quite unwell. They went into hospital for a planned operation, complications ensued and they ended up in the Intensive Care Ward. It is now 11 days since the operation and there are small improvements but also further  complications.
Rene had a planned business trip to Brisbane for work and I accompanied him, but spent the time with my family trying to bring a little sunshine, love and laughter into an otherwise extremely stressful and scary situation. 

As such, I have not managed to achieve many boat jobs this past week. What we have managed to achieve in the way of boat maintenance, follows below. 

Engine work
Rene managed to successfully finish his work on the radiator. It has been emptied, flushed, cleaned, a new pipe fitted and filled again with fresh, good-quality (and apparently eco-friendly) coolant. There were a considerable number of hiccups along the way to finishing this seemingly simple job. All part of the process of learning how to care for a diesel engine built in 1972!
Rene refers to his bible in moments of confusion - Calder's 'Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Manual'

The final step - refilling the coolant.
We measured, cut and prepared a hole in our plastic cupboard for one of the batteries to live inside. The battery itself fit in nicely. The job of securing it properly for being at sea was time-consuming. It has to be snugly secured in place so that no matter what motion Anima makes, the battery doesn't budge. We bought new cables and lugs and Rene managed to recycle one of them by cleaning it out. This weekend, he plans on installing the second battery.
Working on the supports.
Pushing the battery into its little home. It is VERY heavy!
I successfully completed a ripstop cover for the outboard fuel container. For all my procrastination (I really really didn't enjoy sewing that blasted dinghy cover back in September!), this cover turned out to be a simple job. I had it finished within an hour. The cover will help the container last while out in the elements so we will not need to replace it for many years (we hope).
Dinghy fuel container all dressed up ready for life outdoors.
 I better get back to it all - we have a busy weekend of boat work ahead of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment